RIKEN BRC has changed monitoring interval of Hantaan virus and dermatophytes from bimonthly to semi-annually using sentinel mice in the barrier facility
Since Hantaan virus (Class A agent) and dermatophytes (Class B agent) can infect mice and are considered to be zoonotic pathogens,
RIKEN BRC has conducted the following (1)-(4) tests since our establishment in 2001.
For the classification of pathogenic agents, please refer Quality Control @
- (1) Each deposited mouse is tested serologically for Class A agents including Hantaan virus.
- (2) Class A and B agents including Hantaan virus and dermatophytes are tested every three months using sentinel mice by the regular health monitoring of the breeding facility of the deposited mice prior to rederivation*.
- (3) The rederived mice are examined by using foster mother(s) for Class A and B agents including Hantaan virus and dermatophytes*.
- (4) Class A and B agents including Hantaan virus and dermatophytes are tested bimonthly using sentinel mice by the regular health monitoring of the barrier facility for the rederived mice*.
* Class C and/or D agents are tested for the designated mouse strains.
We have reviewed our past results of the above tests (1)-(4) in our facility and decided to change the testing interval of Hantaan virus and dermatophytes from bimonthly to semi-annually starting from August 2013. Main reasons of this change are as follows:
A) Natural infection of Hantaan virus in experimental mice has not been reported .
B) Mice do not transmit Hantaan viruses vertically .
C) Hantaan virus and dermatophytes can be eliminated by rederivation.
D) Neither Hantaan virus nor dermatophytes has been detected in the tests of (1)-(4) or (2)-(4), respectively, since 2001.
In the current revision, RIKEN BRC has changed only the interval of the (4) test for the both pathogens, but not the other pathogenic tests of (1)-(3). We consider that we can detect any infection of Hantaan virus by the tests (1)-(3) and dermatophytes by the tests (2) and (3).
RIKEN BRC revises its health monitoring program as the occasion arises and explains the change to users. Please contact us through email@example.com if you have any questions regarding this change.
Request of additional tests from a user for Hantaan virus and dermatophytes will incur extra fees of 2,800 JPY per test and 1,800 JPY per test, respectively.
 “Dealing manual of infections of experimental animals” K. Maejima (Ed), Published by Adthree Corp., p.98, 2000. (In Japanese)
 “Lack of vertical transmission of Hantaan virus from persistently infected dam to progeny in laboratory mice”, M. Taruishi et al. Arch. Virol. 2008. 153(8): 1605-1609.